Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Roots

This winter, on one of those days when the rain thunders on the roof until it sounds like waves on the hull of a boat, I didn't go out and work on the fences, or prune the fruit trees, or mulch the raspberries: instead I pulled out our family photo collection: a big box of half-filled albums, rolls of film, unlabeled envelopes, Christmas cards, wedding announcements, graduation pictures, and all the rest.  I thought I'd share some of my favorite farm photos with you guys: here's the first one. 
This is John and Molly, on their first farm in Sumner, Washington.  This is where they first raised pigs, learned how to make wine, grew amazing corn and squash in the rich floodplain soil, and decided to start with a puppy before they decided whether or not to have children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment